3.11.11

I had a moment last weekend that I don't think is possible to put into words. Challenge accepted. I went camping with one of my best friends and my brother, who is my absolute best friend. Which, by the way, I am so fortunate to have. So we went to this campsite and spent the night talking and hanging out. I turn my cell phone off that night and decide to go at least 24 hours without it. If you know me at all, I can't go 30 minutes without checking twitter or I'm behind. The next day we walked around a lake and went fishing. As the sun was starting to set, we decided to stop at a certain part. As we sat down, all of us looked up and noticed the incredible scene in front of us. We were overlooking this lake as the sun was setting. On the other side was a hill covered in trees, the leaves all different colors. One of us said, "Dude...look at that." And not another word was said. We just stared. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Not just because of the scenery, but because of the situation. When you are far enough away from civilization, the busy world that surrounds you no longer matters. Only the exact moment you are living. And that moment was pure bliss. The world did not exist outside of the scene in front of me. I'm just sitting there with two of my favorite people in the world enjoying this. We didn't even speak. There was no need to. Nothing could be said to make that moment any better.

That's something that will stick with me the rest of my life. What someone said on Twitter a week ago has left my mind for good. Yet, the experience I just wrote about was so much simpler. This scene (provided the lake was not man made, I actually have no idea) was there long before I was even born. It's there every day. I've let technology completely spoil me of the things that are truly beautiful. What's sad is I will probably continue to do so.

I'm not really sure what the point of this particular post is other than to share the experience. And if you take anything out of it, take this. Next time you get the chance to experience the world as it is without technology...do it. It's even better if you can share it with the people closest to you. But in that moment, however short it might be...you have no worries. You don't have to go to work the next day. You don't have to pay bills. You don't have any appointments. You don't have any grudges or hate. You just live. You enjoy. You breathe easier. And somehow, you become closer to the people you are with without even saying a word. I'm enclosing a picture I shot the next day (after my technology break was over) but I'm afraid it doesn't quite do it justice. Just imagine yourself in the scene I painted for you with this visual aid.

Cheers
-mwb


No comments: