1.9.08

People watching is fun

I absolutely love going to Wal-Mart. Not because of the low prices or friendly service, but to watch people. Every time it's the same. There's the happy couple shopping together, the girl doing all the work while the guy stands there clueless. At the beginning of every school year you see the roommates shopping for apartment supplies. Half of which they will use for a week and then just forget about. It always cracks me up to see guys getting things like toilet bowl cleaners. Honestly, who takes time to clean their toilet after the first week? Then there's the parents with the uncontrollable kids. Their kids are on the floor throwing a tantrum about a candy bar, and all they do is say very softly, "stop". And of course there is the person that looks like they live in bed. They throw on a t-shirt, hair is ridiculous, and they just kind of shuffle around looking confused and squinting in the bright light. And as I walked in today there was a woman sniffing a peach...then she put it back with her germs and breath all over it. My favorite though, is the busy, I'm in a hurry, get out of my way person. While we're standing in line they act like it's someone else's fault that there are so many people there. "Why are all these people here. Why did they come when I did. People should know I'm coming to Wal-Mart and not get in my way." This is what I imagine them thinking.
People are so interesting to me. I don't know why I'm fascinated with watching other people tick. I just want to know what their thinking. What drives them. Are they thinking about the same things I am? Am I silently being stereotyped just like I am everyone else?
I always go shopping by myself. There is never anyone else my age out by themselves. Shouldn't that tell me something? They always have a friend or a girlfriend/boyfriend with them, laughing and having a good time. But is it weird that I enjoy being there alone? I don't have to worry about being distracted and can focus on watching people. I'm not creepy I promise. I'm not a stalker. I just enjoy the fact that God made us all different.
I wonder if there is anybody else out there like me? Does anyone else occupy their time wanting to know everyone's story? I never ask though...I always just imagine what it would be. It's more fun that way. Because my imagination goes a lot farther than truth.

No comments: