13.10.10

Money can't buy happiness?

Well a lack of can not buy happiness. And make you frustrated, angry, and hate doing what you love. When I first started recording, a good computer was my lowest priority. Now that I've bought other things, it is the weakest link. I bought a hard drive a month ago. Already went out. I lost all the mixes I've done in the past month. All because my computer is a piece of crap an I'm awful at backing up files. So I desperately need a computer. Which is about 1400 bucks. I can buy one right now. But then I wouldn't have money for the Nashville move and I would still be in credit card debt from other studio stuff. So what are my options? Tough it out and have the computer go down in the middle of an important outside session. Win monopoly at McDonalds. Win the lottery. Find two more jobs. Rob the Mac store (just kidding. Don't call the cops) or lastly...try out a kickstarter. If you don't know what kickstarter is, it's a website that helps you fund creative projects. My computer is my main tool for all creativity (though recently, my iPhone has been more successful). You set an amount and people pledge to give you money. If that goal is hit, you get the money, plus whatever else is raised before the deadline. If you don't get enough money before the deadline, you get nothing. This is where the problem lies. I have about 3 friends that might give me some money. So I might try it, but doubt it will work. You offer rewards (bands give out demos, download packages, shirts, etc) as motives to donate. Another problem. This won't really supply anything tangible. Just peace and happiness for me. And whoever records with me. I could give out free studio time for people who give $50 or more. Maybe recording lessons for $25. Or my old computer for $300. So this is something I'm considering if I can convince myself. If you have ideas of rewards I'd like to hear them. Comment away. Or a way to get $1k besides what I'm trying to save and pay off debt with.

So back to the title. That saying is a bunch of bull. I think it was intended to mean "you don't need money for happiness." Because let's be honest...when is the last time you ever bought something nice and were sad about it? Have you ever got a paycheck and started crying? No. When I have money, I am happier. Because it's one less thing I'm struggling with. If you know me at all, you know the lack of doesn't really make me sad. It frustrates me, yes. But I can tell you 100 non-monetary things that I can find happiness in.

So money can buy happiness. In the form of a Mac Pro. Quad or 8 core. 4gb ram. In case anyone wanted to buy me happiness. You know what? A G5 with a dual 2.2ghz and 4 gigs of ram would almost equally buy me happiness at this point. Anything to never use Windows again. But an Intel processor would make me happier than a G5. So anyway, I'm done being selfish. I'm serious about those rewards comments. Help me out with some ideas. Or just comment for the fun of it. That's one of my 100 non-monetary forms of happiness. Reading your comments. Which normally doesn't bring me much.

No comments: