28.9.11

What a dumb list

I'm getting a bit tired of people confusing the words "influential" and "talent." What pushed me to the point of blogging about it? Stick around and I'll tell you. I started some tweets, then realized 140 characters aren't enough. You like that? That's like when they say the name of the movie in the movie. Except it's saying the name of the blog in the blog. Mind blown? Probably. If your brain is still intact, please continue.

I was thinking about who had the greatest voices of all time. Not influential. The greatest. As in they are the best. Range, tone, quality, soul. Stuff like that. I looked at Rolling Stone's top 100. And I got a bit upset. Because the title is Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest singers of all time. For kicks, I'll start off with the top 25.

15 Robert Plant
14 Al Green
13 Roy Orbison
12 Little Richard
11 Paul McCartney
10 James Brown
09 Stevie Wonder
08 Otis Redding
07 Bob Dylan
06 Marvin Gaye
05 John Lennon
04 Sam Cooke
03 Elvis Presley
02 Ray Charles
01 Aretha Franklin

That has to be a joke. Bob Dylan fans will even admit that his voice is just awful. Keep in mind, we aren't talking about influence, style, or songwriting (which he might be the best of all time). We are talking about vocal talent. At least that's what I think of when I hear greatest. My number one is number 18. Freddie Mercury. Go listen to any Queen song and refute my claim. He has a soothing yet powerful voice. He has range. He has vibrato. He has it all. Even a sweet mustache that every man is secretly jealous of. Aretha Franklin is in my top 5, as well as Sam Cooke. Actually, here is my top 5 so you know where I'm at.

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Steve Perry
3. Sam Cooke
4. Aretha Franklin
5. Etta James

Know where Steve Perry is on the list? 76. Seventy freakin six. People that beat him include but are not limited to: Iggy Pop. James Taylor. Jerry Lee Lewis. Buddy Holly. Kurt Cobain (are you kidding me? Neil Young. Bono (are you kidding me again)? Johnny Cash. Also, the previously mentioned people. If music were like boxing, this list would be different. Music is all about opinions and emotions. Most of the time, the truest talent gets hidden. In a boxing match, the best normally wins. How dare anyone put Bob Dylan in the top 10 and put Steve Perry at 76. On a list of greatest singers of all time. Bob Dylan would get knocked out first round by most of these people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the people I've said don't belong. They brought major influence, uniqueness, and their own style. But, in my opinion, greatness is not being different. Greatness is having the raw talent. Being the best. And I stand firmly on my top 5. I believe they are/were the greatest of all time. This list is garbage. For the record, Morrissey is at 92. How he beat Stevie Nicks, I will never know. I enjoy listening to The Smiths. But never in a sober state of mind would put him in a top 100. I feel like I have much more to say, but I'm fighting a battle I can't win. Someone comment. Tell me I'm still sane in thinking this way. Or tell me I'm an idiot. I don't care.

No comments: