12.5.08

Amazing Grace

I've felt a tug a my heart recently. I finally think I've found my "calling", if you will. I've had so many thoughts in my head, but there are way to many to put in a song or in a blog. So I've decided I'm going to write a book. This isn't what I feel I'm called to do, but this is the beginning. I don't know if it will ever get published or if anyone else will ever even read it, but right now I have thoughts that I feel like the world needs to hear and I can't let them float around in my head anymore.
I basically feel like the world needs to hear more about grace. The world needs more of it, and they need to know that God has unlimited grace. I think that the majority of unbelievers feel like they've done too much. They feel like their sins or unforgivable. I also feel that there are many people out there who have never experienced grace. No one, whether that be family, friends, or even the church, has ever shown it to them. People don't know what it's like to mess up and have someone say, "Hey...it's ok. I forgive you and I love you." It saddens my heart that people have never felt love and don't believe that there is grace out there for them. And I hate to say it, but a big reason is churches. I'm not slamming the idea of church by any means. It's an amazing thing to have somewhere to go and fellowship and worship God with other people. But I don't think anyone should ever be turned away from a church no matter what they've done. People that are lost will never even consider church because a lot of them have become judgmental and make them feel even worse. My own sister doesn't even feel welcome at our own church because when she became pregnant people asked to pray for her. And when they prayed, they didn't talk about how she was loved and forgiven for the things she has done, but they used words like "mistake" constantly and prayed that God would forgive her of her sins. While that may seem like a good prayer from a believers standpoint, it makes people that already feel unwelcome feel it even more.
People have come to the mindset that church is for people that are already saved, and that people with sins aren't welcome. Church goers might ask God for forgiveness for things they have done themselves, but not even be willing to forgive other people for things that have offended them. I want to change that. I want to make a difference. I want people to think of church as a place of grace, and not a place of judgment. I want sinners, not matter who they are: murderers, alcoholics, prostitutes, drug abusers, etc. to know that they are welcome. I want them to know that they can go to a church and find grace. To find love. And to find peace.

C.S. Lewis said that the only thing unique about Christianity from other religions is grace. No other religion has unlimited grace. Why don't we use this? Why is it often ignored? Shouldn't the biggest strength be used the most? Nothing can show love more than grace. Nothing. I challenge you to find something that does. Nothing you can buy...nothing you can say....nothing you can do can make a person feel more loved than someone saying, "I forgive you, and I will always love you no matter what you do." It's time to make a change.


Then came Peter to him, and said, "Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?"

Jesus saith unto him, "I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

-Matthew 18:21-22

No comments: