19.5.08

The consequences of "ungrace"

I fell short today. As I do almost every second of the day. But this one still stings. I talk about grace all the time. I believe that love and grace is what most people that are struggling need. But today...I failed to write love on her arms.
A girl today told me of her struggles. I won't go into details, but I could tell she was hurting. I could tell she needed to know she was loved. Before I could think about it, I shrugged it off and changed the subject. After all...it's her life. Why should I care. She messed it up. She needs to deal with the consequences. Phillip Yancey coined the word "ungrace" in his book "What's So Amazing About Grace?" I think it's sufficient to use here.
I feel like such a hypocrite. Isn't this exactly what I have been feeling? Do I not pray every night for God to show his love through me, to send me people in need so that I can show them grace? That's all I've been able to think about. But when the time came to act, I failed. I feel like Peter when he promised God he loved him, but then when the time came to act, he denied him not once, but three times.
I've stated this many times, but I think it bears repeating. So many people in this world are lost and depressed. Their only way out is to see the grace and the love of God. It could be as simple as saying to them, "Hey...no matter what you do, I will still love you, and God will still love you."
This is a wake up call for me. For my own spiritual life, and to show me how hard it can be to show grace. It sounds so simple. Show the world grace, and people will be saved. Yet even as obsessed as I am with grace, I fall short when I need to show it most. Is this why so many people out there are struggling with their lives due to ungrace and a lack of love. It is a challenge to show people grace. Grace defies all common sense. People are so used to saying, "Well, they deserve it, then." How many times do people slip through our fingers when they are right there waiting to receive it. How many souls have been lost due to suicide because no one took the time to tell them they were loved? How many times have we failed to write love on someone's arms?

We need to wake up as Christians. Myself definitely included. We need to get out of our own "perfect" lives and start spreading grace. I won't stand for this anymore. I won't sit here and watch someone's life continue to fall apart because of ungrace. Not just with this one person, but with everyone God sends my way. I just pray that next time, I will see...and I will be ready.

...But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord
-Romans 5:20-21

No comments: