25.4.08

Don't take love for granted

I've never been one to give things to people less fortunate than me. I've just always figured there are people out there with more money than me that can do it. For the past 3 years of college, I've looked at myself as someone barely scraping by. So why should I give to people when I can barely make it myself? That's the excuse I used.

I'm through with this "sucks for them" mentality.

It hit me today. I had a free 25 dollar paypal purchase with the credit card points I've earned. And I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure out what to get. A new Playstation controller...an instrument cable...a mic cable...a new pop filter...just browsing for random things. Then I thought about it. These things will eventually break and serve no purpose. I don't necessarily need a new Playstation controller, or a patch cable.

Then I realized that the greatest thing you can buy is priceless. And that's love. Of course you can't actually buy love with money...but I'm speaking figuratively of course. I went to To Write Love On Her Arms website and bought a few shirts and a poster. And even though it's a small contribution at the time, it will help them reach out and show people that they are loved. That they don't have to turn to addiction, or suicide to escape the world they live in.

This isn't to say, "Hey look at me, I'm donating money." It's to remember that there are people out there that are struggling a lot worse than I am. People that turn to addiction to alcohol and drugs and some even suicide because they feel unloved and unwanted. And if I could do anything at all to make just one person feel loved, I will. This is a reminder to give your money to people that are desperately in need of it instead of buying that new $80 pair of jeans that will eventually rip or get old. Love never gets old. One life being changed is worth everything I have.

So this is my pledge. At least once a month, I will pass up buying something I don't need and give it to TWLOHA. Not because I want to feel good for myself, or brag about it. But because I believe that there is someone out there..someone that can be somebody. Someone that's lost and might not have every really experienced love. And I'm willing to make a small sacrifice out of my life, if it brings someone else out of self destruction. I've experienced love. I know what it feels like to have someone care about me. I know that God loves me. But some people don't. Some people have tainted views on love, or never experienced it at all. Some people truly don't know what it feels like to have someone that cares if they live or die. The things that we take for granted.

If you are reading this, I highly encourage you to do the same thing. Go to their website at http://www.TWLOHA.com and read the story. Read how one girls entire life was turned around because one person decided to care. Suicide can be prevented. Addiction can be stopped. Love can be shared. People can be changed. Are you willing to help? Are you willing to stop putting yourself first? Do you really need that new shirt? Do you really need to go out to eat 3 times a week? Think about it.

Tangible things will fade away. But if you can change a life, it will last an eternity.

To Write Love On Her Arms (Website)
MySpace

No comments: